Ok you guys….I would call this pizza except it’s missing a few ingredients…like mozzarella cheese, and pizza sauce. (Does that mean we can call it healthy?)… But what it does have is the world’s easiest pizza dough recipe, followed by the tastiest tomatoes from my own garden, as well as a few other ingredients you’ll have to scroll down to find out !
So I introduce to you, the Easiest Tomato Flatbread Ever!
You will need:
Sharp paring knife
A large mixing bowl
A pizza pan or stone
Crispy, cracker crust dough:
1/2 cup of lukewarm, not hot, water (110ºF)
1/2 teaspoon of active dry yeast
1 teaspoon of honey
1 1/2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
If you’re feeling zesty:
2 teaspoons of oregano
1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/8 cup or more of grated parmesan cheese
1 cup of sliced, garden-fresh tomatoes
2 or 3 Tablespoons of sliced peppers of your choice
More oregano, pizza spices, and garlic salt
Several sprigs of fresh basil
+Extra flour to dust the pan with
Make the dough:
- In your large mixing bowl, pour in the yeast, honey, and warm water, and let it foam for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the flour and salt, (and spices if you choose). Bring it together with your spoon and then turn out the dough onto a slightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough ball a few times and then place it back into the bowl (add a little flour to the bowl to prevent stickiness) and let it rest, covered with a towel.
- Set aside to rise for 10-15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450ºF
- Wash, and slice tomatoes. Set aside
- Lay the dough onto your sprayed and floured pizza pan and spread it evenly with your hands. If it bounces back too easily, let it rest for a few minutes and try again.
- Using your pastry brush, lightly dip into your olive oil and spread a thin glaze over the dough.
- Gently crack some sea salt over the dough.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes and peppers in whatever manner you wish.
- Cover in parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20minutes, or until the crust is a nice golden brown. You will have to watch it! Seriously, check it like every 5 minutes…
- Cover with your choice of more spices/herbs and devour entire pizza!
If anyone comes up with different combinations of toppings (Margherita would be perfect for this type of crust), please let me know and leave your comments here!
I seriously can’t get enough of thin and crispy crusts like this. It makes you feel no guilt for eating an entire pizza because let’s get real….three slices could fit into one regular slice ‘amiright’?
The process is so simple, yet the flavors, so complex!