As if Mardi Gras wasn’t enough of an excuse to indulge, I’ve given you another reason.
Or three….It’s ok…you can have three, I won’t tell anybody….
These peanut butter bars, topped with a layer of melted Reese’s peanut butter cups are the best thing since these cookies–> (Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies) and are basically made from the same recipe!
Yes it is too good to be true.
Perfect for a spring time treat, or any time for that matter, these bars will leave you wanting MORE MORE MORE!
You will need:
Measuring cups and spoons
Large mixing bowl
Wooden spoon or rubber scraper
Small microwaveable mixing bowl
Square 8″x 8″ baking pan
*Note: You can use a 9×9 pan but the bars will be thinner! Just a warning!
- 1 & 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini baking chocolate chips (vegan chocolate chips optional)
- About 16-20 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Minis (milk or dark chocolate –pick your favorite!)
- 3 or 4 Tablespoons heavy cream
Now these directions will be almost identical to the way the cookies are made, sans cookie sheets.
Preheat oven to 350º F
- In your large bowl, combine the two flours, the soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the small microwaveable bowl, place the coconut oil and peanut butter, and microwave for 10 seconds at a time until melted and smooth.
- Remove small bowl from microwave and add the syrup and vanilla. Stir to combine completely.
- Add the wet ingredients of the small bowl, to the dry ingredients of the large bowl.
- Stir to combine – dough will be heavy and thick.
- Coat the baking pan with cooking spray and press the dough into the pan. Make sure it is even all the way around by pressing a measuring cup around the top of the dough until it is nice and flat.
- Refrigerate the pan for 15 minutes before baking.
- Remove from fridge and bake for 11-12 minutes. The color should only turn slightly.
- Turn off oven, and let bars cool in fridge while you make the topping. Make sure it is completely cool/cold to the touch before adding topping.
- Reuse your microwaveable bowl that you melted the coconut oil in and pour in the completely peeled Reese’s cups.
- Add the chocolate chips and cream.
- Microwave for 15 seconds at a time and stir. Repeat until melted and smooth.
- Remove cooled bars from fridge and spoon the chocolate topping onto the bars and spread evenly.
- Return to fridge to let the topping set — at least 20 minutes.
Cut bars into whatever size you wish — I made mine huge –3×3 cuts which gave me 9 bars total! You can cut them smaller into 3×4’s which will give you 12.
Share with a friend and enjoy!